Our Curriculum Intent and Implementation
At Whitesheet Primary CE Academy, we have designed a knowledge engaged curriculum that aims to be irresistible and ambitious and equips all our children for life-long learning and adventure, within their own community and the world beyond.
In order to ensure that learning is relevant and meaningful to all our pupils, skills are learnt alongside knowledge, predominantly through the delivery of a fully inclusive and immersive, topic based curriculum. Teaching and learning in this way, supports children to make connections within and across their learning experience. Immersive cross-curricular teaching allows children’s natural curiosity to flourish, alongside the purposeful acquisition of knowledge and skills; deepening their engagement and understanding. At Whitesheet CE Primary Academy, we firmly believe that every child can master an understanding and love of mathematics. All our children are taught Maths for mastery through an inclusive and transformative approach, which helps every child to develop a deep, long-term and adaptable understanding of mathematics.
Carefully planned opportunities aim to inspire a life-long love of learning, promoting positive learning behaviours and helping all our children to grow as confident and ambitious individuals, ready to succeed in an ever changing world.
Through the curriculum, all our children will have the opportunity to become the best communicators, innovators, creators, designers and performers they can be. They will learn about the wonders of the world around them, with opportunities to investigate the history, geography and science of their world. They will learn about themselves as human beings, their place within their community and the world beyond and begin to understand the positive impact they can have on their own lives, the lives of others others and the world in which they live.
At Whitesheet CE Primary Academy, in order to achieve the ambitious aims we set for our children, we implement our curriculum in the following ways:
- All our learning is underpinned by our Christian values of: Respect, Trust, Compassion, Perseverance and Hope
- All staff work together to ensure that teaching and learning takes place, in a fully inclusive environment ,where everyone feels safe, respected and valued as unique individuals
- Teaching and learning is set within a stimulating environment and delivered by inspiring staff committed to supporting each child to be successful and reach their full potential
- Learning is coherently planned and sequenced through a topic based approach, or through discreet teaching of the subject, to ensure progression and continuity across the school
- A 'Big Question' forms the starting point for enquiry based learning in each new topic; promoting critical thinking, problem solving, creativity and communication
- All children have regular opportunities to work both collaboratively and independently, where they are supported to develop resilience, become self-reflective learners and feel confident to rise to new challenges
- WOW Days and Experiences are planned during each topic, to stimulate curiosity and promote engagement in the new learning
- Additional Creative Curriculum Days are carefully planned throughout the year, to further enrich curriculum knowledge and skills
- Enriched extra-curricular activities and experiences are planned for all children to access as part of the 'Whitesheet Flight Path' Programme - this presents all our children with opportunities they may not otherwise be able to experience. Children record their experiences during their time at Whitesheet, on their Enrichment Passport